This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Reduction of Contributions, by Daniel Pineault
- How Access Stores Queries (Part 2 of 2), by Colin Riddington
- PESKY BUGS - How to manage them, by Maria Barnes
- GetTempPath: Using the Windows API for Maximum Performance, by Mike Wolfe
- My File System Variable Naming Convention for VBA, by Mike Wolfe
- LimitTextLength: Enforce Max Text Length for Unbound Text Boxes and Combo Boxes, by Mike Wolfe
- HOW TO: Install twinBASIC, by Mike Wolfe
- MakeSurePathExists: Using the Windows API to Create Missing Subfolders in VBA, by Mike Wolfe
- Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Auto Expand Form (5:19): Automatically Expand or Contract an Access form to Show More or Less Controls ~ DataPig
- Enable Disable (6:08): Enable and Disable Controls in Access ~ DataPig
- Add Record (7:16): Add Record with Query – data from controls on unbound form ~ DataPig
- Conditional Formatting (4:27): Conditional Formatting on an Access Form ~ DataPig
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Transpose Data (33:01): Transpose Data in Excel and Properly Normalize it in Microsoft Access
- Crosstab Query (16:49): Create a Crosstab Query in Microsoft Access to Summarize Data from Two Fields
- Append Query (13:51): Using an Append Query in Microsoft Access to Add Records to a Table
- Indexing (13:57): Indexing Fields in Microsoft Access Tables for Optimal Database Performance
- Week in Review (2:14): Mike Wolfe's Microsoft Access "Week in Review" at NoLongerSet.com - Access News, Tips, Articles
- Order By causes a scan on a large table (in SQL Server)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Advice for New Software Engineers, by Dylan Paulus
- Solving the Unicode, UTF8, UTF16 and Text Files conundrum in VBA, by Francesco Foti
- Access: using .Net strings in VBA for fun and profit, by Renaud Bompuis
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- August 18, 2022: Richard Hanson (Pharos Technologies) - Building a Used Book Business with Microsoft Access Automation
- September 1, 2022: Jack Stockton - Codifying Long Names into Unique Codes
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Graphical Interfaces in Access
- October 6, 2022: Brian Krotine - Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud"
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less connections to SQL Server
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-08-06) and this week (2022-08-13).
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
UPDATE [2022-08-15]: Added Richard Hanson to the upcoming presentations list for August 18, 2022.