This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Access Releases 2 Issue Fixes in Version 2304 (Released April 25, 2023), by Linda Lu Cannon
Ben Clothier (Access Experts)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
- Password Login (with Session Login Information) (updated)
- Unblock downloaded files by removing the MOTW (updated)
- AEU15: Automate DSN-less Communication
- The Curious Case of the Multi Row Tab Control
- View Access Help (updated)
- Using the new VBA Project Signing feature - Part 1 (updated)
- Adding Security to Access Databases - A Wish List (updated)
- Securing Your Database - A Tutorial (updated)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Automating DSN-Less Communication to SQL Server (1:01:23): by Peter Bryant
Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Report Drawing Reference (5:04)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Northwind 2 (7:22): Microsoft Access Northwind Traders v2 Template Now Available!
- User Level Security: Part 1 (26:44): How to Add Simple User-Level Security to Microsoft Access Databases
- User Level Security: Part 2 (15:52): Control Which Forms & Reports Users Can Open in Microsoft Access
- Data Types (23:00): Microsoft Access Data Types for Beginners
- Image Map (22:34): How to Use Transparent Buttons to Create an Image Map in Microsoft Access
- Company Logo (15:15): How To Add A Company Logo To Your Main Menu In Microsoft Access And Link It To Your Website
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- VBA - Hidden Members (6:15)
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Duplicate Records (Short): Finding Duplicate Records in a Flash
- Table Relationships (8:30): Creating and Managing Table Relationships in Microsoft Access
- Conditional Formatting (Short): Build a Visual Progress Tracking Board
- Table Validation Rules (8:47): Using Validations for Better Data Management
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- [Quick Read]: All Programming Philosophies Are About State
- SQL Server Synonym: The Ultimate Guide to SQL Server Synonym By Practical Examples
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- May 9, 2023: Juan Soto - Selling Access Solutions - Part II
- May 18, 2023: Richard Rost - Custom Data Entry Filter Functions in Access
- May 30, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Northwind 2.0
June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- June 7, 2023: Tom van Stiphout- Introducing Northwind 2.0 (NEW SPEAKER AND TOPIC)
- June 15, 2023: Alessandro Grimaldi - "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks (JUST ADDED)
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- August 29, 2023: Lenni Lobel - Introduction to Azure Cosmos DB
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-04-29) and this one (2023-05-06).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control
UPDATE [2023-05-08]: Corrected link to Crystal Long's "Report Gadgets" article.