Week in Review: April 22, 2023
Highlights include episode 5 of Karl Donaubauer's Access News video update, how to sell Access services with Juan Soto, and lightweight MVVM in VBA.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Microsoft's Lifecycle Policy for Office/Access, by Karl Donaubauer
Mathieu Guindon (Rubberduck VBA)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Crystal Long (Ms Access Gurus | Access Access Newsletter)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- How to Sell Microsoft Access Solutions - Part 1 (1:14:29): by Juan Soto
Karl Donaubauer (YouTube channel)
- Access News 5, April 2023 (24:26): Interviews with Access MVPs Richard Rost and Colin Riddington
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- No Orders in 30 Days! (13:59): Create a List Showing All Customers Who Have Not Placed an Order in 30 Days in Microsoft Access
- Double-Entry Accounting (16:25): Double-Entry Accounting in Microsoft Access
- Warn but Allow (13:18): Warn the User on Duplicate Entry but Allow them to Continue Adding the Record in Microsoft Access
- Print Multiple Invoices (25:16): How to Select Multiple Invoices to Print at One Time in Microsoft Access
- Search, Open, Add New (15:26): How to Search for Existing Records and Add New Ones with Ease
- Military Time Import (16:37): Import an Excel Spreadsheet Containing Military Time into Microsoft Access. Convert 1430 to 2:30 pm
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Microsoft Access Interface Tips: Switch Between Tabbed and Overlapping Windows (Short)
- Table Design: Indexing (7:44): Table Design Essentials in Microsoft Access: Primary Keys, Required Fields, and Indexing
- File Extensions in Microsoft Access: Why ACCDB and MDB Matter (Short)
- Table Design Essentials (14:51): Essential Table Setup in Microsoft Access: Understanding Tables and Field Types
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Nothing new this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- April 25, 2023: Maria Barnes - What's New with Access?
- April 27-28, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- May 4, 2023: Eric Blomquist - Standardizing Form and List Filtering using VBA Classes
- May 18, 2023: Richard Rost - Custom Data Entry Filter Functons in Access (JUST ADDED)
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-04-15) and this one (2023-04-22).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control