This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Access Releases Two Fixes in Version 2207 (Released Aug 3), by Michael Aldridge
- Navigation Pane Helper, by Colin Riddington
- Why Your Data Needs a Better Home: the Trust vs. Will Approach, by Maria Barnes
- EnsurePathExists: A Unicode-Safe Way to Create Missing Subfolders in VBA, by Mike Wolfe
- 3 Ways to Create Missing Subfolders in VBA, by Mike Wolfe
- Automatically Link to Your Bug Database from TortoiseHg, by Mike Wolfe
- Connecting to GitHub from TortoiseHg Using SSH Keys, by Mike Wolfe
- Triple-State Modern On/Off Switch in Access, by Mike Wolfe
NOTE: This is the first Week-in-Review since I began on May 7, 2022, without an article by Daniel Pineault. His contributions to the Access community will be sorely missed. Here's to hoping that this is a hiatus and not a permanent departure.
OK, I'm not ready to say goodbye just yet. I'm taking the liberty of writing a title for one of Daniel's comments on his recent post and linking to it below as though it were its own mini-article. I'm keeping Daniel's streak alive for at least one more week...
- On the Turning Away, by Daniel Pineault
Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- Building a Used Book Business with Microsoft Access Automation (1:04:22): by Richard Hanson (Pharos Technology)
Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
- Navigation Pane Helper (8:29): The navigation pane helper utility was designed to replicate the huge number of options available from the navigation pane but to do so more efficiently with as few clicks as possible.
Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Login Form (9:26): How to Create a basic Login Form ~ DataPig
- Add/Remove Item: 2 Listboxes (9:16): Listbox trick in Access to Add or Remove items ~ DataPig
- Filter Form (7:36): Filter Access Form to Show One or All Records ~ DataPig
- Expand Combo (3:39): Expand and Contract ComboBox on Access Form ~ DataPig
- Date Criteria (7:20): Date Criteria from Form for Query ~ DataPig
- Custom Help (6:25): Custom Help System in Access ~ DataPig
- Colored Tabs (8:06): Create the "illusion" of Colored Tabs on an Access Form ~ DataPig
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Sort by Multiple Fields (14:57): How to Sort By Multiple Fields (Columns) in Microsoft Access Tables, Queries, and Forms
- Developer 40 (4:04): Conditional Formatting in VBA, Color & Font Dialog Pickers. More!
- Event Countdown (50:50): Build an Event Countdown Reminder Popup Form in Microsoft Access
- Append Query Mistake #1 (10:55): The INSERT INTO Statement Contains the Unknown Field Name
- Append Query Mistake #2 (17:06): Can't Append All the Records in the Append Query.
- Interview Questions (44:34): 36 Microsoft Access Interview Questions & Answers
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Will low and no code tools ever truly disrupt tech development? by Katrina Dene
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- September 1, 2022: Jack Stockton - Codifying Long Names into Unique Codes
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Cataloguing and searching emails with Access (TOPIC UPDATE!!)
- October 6, 2022: Brian Krotine - Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud"
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less connections to SQL Server
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-08-13) and this week (2022-08-20).
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)