This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
a.p.r. pillai (Learn MS-Access Tips and Tricks)
Crystal Long (Access Access Newsletter)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
- Open Database with Shift Bypass using Code - Pg 1
- Open Encrypted Database with Shift Bypass - Pg 2
- Manage the Shift Bypass Property - Pg 3
- Access News VIDEO - AEK Conference (Oct 2023)
- AEU21: Use SQL Geography data in Access (updated)
- Manage Totals row using VBA
- Open Queries Directly in SQL View
- Two Font Display Bugs in Version 2309 - FIXED (updated)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Using SQL Server to extend Access - including Geography data (52:03): with John Heaser
Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks (55:30): with Alessandro Grimaldi
Karl Donaubauer (YouTube channel)
- Access News: Edition 7 (20:06): October 2023
George Hepworth (YouTube channel)
- Building the LTF Searchable Catalog, Part 9 (11:12): PowerApps Formulas, Public Constant
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube channel)
- Connect to Any Database (14:03): 4 Quick and Easy Ways to Connect to Backend Databases
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Nothing new this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- November 16, 2023: Alexander Denz - ChatGPT in Access
- November 22-23, 2023: (IN-PERSON!) UK Access User Group Conference (at the offices of Gordon Associates in Cheltenham)
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - Streamline Your Import/Export Spec Workflow with VBA Classes
- January 3, 2024: Ramachandran (A.P.R.) Pillai - Streamlining the Form Module Code in the standalone Class Module
- February 7, 2024: Carlos Quintero - Features of MZ-Tools to make you more productive with VBA
- March 6, 2024: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts in the new Edge Browser Control
- April 3, 2024: Dale Fye - Working with Command Bars and the Access Shortcut Tool
- May 1, 2024: Colin Riddington - View & Edit Import/Export (IMEX) Data Task Specifications
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-10-28) and this one (2023-11-04).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
NOV 2023: Making 32-bit Access Large Address Aware (LAA)
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control