This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Don't show the Design View Warning for Linked Tables, by Karl Donaubauer
a.p.r. pillai (Learn MS-Access Tips and Tricks)
Crystal Long (Access Access Newsletter)
Noah (Dykoski?) (Arkware)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
Sean MacKenzie (YouTube channel)
- IP Address (11:56): How to Get the IP Address in Microsoft Access
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Find Between (23:40): Extract Text Between Delimiters in Microsoft Access VBA: Advanced FindBetween Function Tutorial
- Task Priority (16:05): Optimizing Microsoft Access Performance: How to Adjust Task Priority in Windows
- Web API (33:22): Retrieving Real-Time Data Using a Web API in Microsoft Access
- Automated Import (20:32): Automated Import of Data to Microsoft Access from Excel with Just One Click
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
Edcelle John Gulfan (YouTube channel)
- Export Listbox (24:16): Export Listbox Data from MS Access to Excel - Step-by-Step Tutorial
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Managing the challenge of migrating to the cloud, by Matt Hilbert
- Microsoft announces new Copilot Copyright Commitment for customers, by Brad Smith
- I am not your Cloud person, by Andrei Taranchenko
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- September 21, 2023: Armen Stein - Advanced Database Design
- September 26, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Accessibility is for Everyone
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- October 5, 2023: Pat Hartman - Updateable Bound Forms with Denormalized Data
- October 19, 2023: Alessandro Grimaldi - "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- November 2, 2023: You? - Your Presentation Can Be Here! Contact George Hepworth
- November 16, 2023: Alexander Denz - ChatGPT in Access
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
- January 3, 2024: Ramachandran (A.P.R.) Pillai - Streamlining the Form Module Code in the standalone Class Module
- February 7, 2024: Carlos Quintero - Features of MZ-Tools to make you more productive with VBA
- March 6, 2024: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts in the new Edge Browser Control (DATE JUST UPDATED)
The roadmap was updated!!!! It was nothing earth-shattering, but it is a long overdue and welcome addition to the in-development pipeline:
- Making 32-bit Access Large Address Aware (LAA)
For information about why this feature is important, check out this article I wrote on the topic. As an added bonus, the article includes information for applying this feature to perpetual versions of Access that are unlikely to receive the feature (e.g., Access 2016, 2019, 2021, etc.).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
NOV 2023: Making 32-bit Access Large Address Aware (LAA)
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control