This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- New Edge Browser Control in Microsoft Access, by Linda Lu Cannon
Maria Barnes (Business Data Bytes Newsletter)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
- Synchronise Subform Scrolling (updated)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Northwind 2.0: Core forms and Workflow (1:08:51): with Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young
Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- Custom Data Entry Filter Functions (34:51): with Richard Rost
Sean MacKenzie (YouTube channel)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Activate vs. Got Focus (12:11): What's the Difference Between On Activate and On Got Focus in Microsoft Access
- On Activate (15:50): Use the On Activate Event to Highlight Active Form in Microsoft Access
- Force New Page (11:29): Use the Force New Page Property to Insert a Page Break after Each Group in a Microsoft Access Report
- On Unload (16:51): Using the On Unload Event to Perform Data Validation When a Form Closes in Microsoft Access
- Copy to Clipboard (19:31): How to Copy & Paste Data to/from the Clipboard in Microsoft Access*
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- Advanced VBA Automation (Part 1) (33:55): Modern Web Browser Control
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Squeeze the hell out of the system you have, by Dan Slimmon
- Do-nothing scripting: the key to gradual automation, by Dan Slimmon
- Don’t fix it just because it’s technical debt, by Dan Slimmon
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- August 29, 2023: Lenni Lobel - Introduction to Azure Cosmos DB
- September 6, 2023: Colin Riddington - Database Analyzer and Other Tools
- September 7, 2023: John Colby - Event Driven Programming
- September 12, 2023: Roy Kim - Fundamentals of Azure OpenAI (JUST ADDED)
- September 21, 2023: Armen Stein - Advanced Database Design
- September 26, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Accessibility is for Everyone
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- October 5, 2023: Pat Hartman - Updateable Bound Forms with Denormalized Data (JUST ADDED)
- October 19, 2023: Alessandro Grimaldi - "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- November 2, 2023: You? - Your Presentation Can Be Here! Contact George Hepworth
- November 16, 2023: Alexander Denz - ChatGPT in Access
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
- January 3, 2023: Ramachandran (A.P.R.) Pillai - Streamlining the Form Module Code in the standalone Class Module
- Date To Be Determined: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts in the new Edge browser control (session postponed from its original September 6, 2023, time slot)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-08-19) and this one (2023-08-26).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control