This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
a.p.r. pillai (Learn MS-Access Tips and Tricks)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Import Text (26:43): Data Sharing Simplified: Importing Text into a Microsoft Access Table
- Export Text (19:45): Data Sharing Simplified: Exporting Tables or Queries as Text from Microsoft Access
- Cascade Delete (14:20): Proper Use of Cascade Deletes in Microsoft Access Databases
- Average Monthly Expenses (18:11): How to Calculate Your Average Monthly Expenses in Microsoft Access
- Expense Tracker (33:52): How to Track Your Recurring Expenses in Microsoft Access
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
Edcelle John Gulfan (YouTube channel)
- Add as New Record (14:48): DLOOKUP: If Search Id is not found, then add it as a new record.
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Nothing new this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- August 17, 2023: Richard Rost - Custom Data Entry Filter Functions in Access
- August 29, 2023: Lenni Lobel - Introduction to Azure Cosmos DB
- September 6, 2023: Colin Riddington - Database Analyzer and Other Tools
- September 7, 2023: John Colby - Event Driven Programming
- September 26, 2023: Maria Barnes (?) - Accessibility (JUST ADDED)
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- October 19, 2023: Alessandro Grimaldi - "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
- January 3, 2023: Ramachandran (A.P.R.) Pillai - Streamlining the Form Module Code in the standalone Class Module
- Date To Be Determined: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts in the new Edge browser control (session postponed from its original Sempter 6, 2023, time slot)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-08-05) and this one (2023-08-12).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control