This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
Crystal Long (Access Access Newsletter)
Mathieu Guindon (Rubberduck VBA)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Karl Donaubauer (YouTube channel)
- Access News (23:01): Edition 6, April - June 2023
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Crosstab Sort (14:19): How to Sort Your Crosstab Query Column Headers Descending in Microsoft Access
- Two Spaces! (16:10): How to Fix Records Where Users Typed Two Spaces After a Period in Microsoft Access
- Wizards Don't Start! (11:22): What to do if the Control Wizards Don't Start in Microsoft Access
- DLookup Slow! (15:05): What to do if DLookup is Slow in your Microsoft Access Database
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Append Queries (7:38): Understanding and Troubleshooting Append Queries in Access
- Compact and Repair (Short): Utilizing 'Compact and Repair' Feature in Microsoft Access
- Updateable Queries (5:20): The Rules That Determine Whether Query Data is Updateable in Microsoft Access
- Data Updates (Short): *Zip Through Data Updates in Microsoft Access *
- Import Web Data (8:54): Extract, Transform, Load: Master Data Import from the Web to MS Access
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Why We Stopped Estimating Ongoing Development, by Andrea Goulet
- Flattening Arrow Code, by Jeff Atwood
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- July 6, 2023: Greg Regan - Great Interface Design
- July 20, 2023: George Hepworth - Extending Access with a PowerApps Barcode Scanner
- August 2, 2023: Juanjo Luna - An Access Developer Guide to creating applications in Blazor
- August 3, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Global Error Handlers
- August 17, 2023: Richard Rost - Custom Data Entry Filter Functions in Access
- August 29, 2023: Lenni Lobel - Introduction to Azure Cosmos DB
- September 6, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts in the new Edge browser control
- September 7, 2023: John Colby - Event Driven Programming
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- October 19, 2023: Alessandro Grimaldi - "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
- January 3, 2023: Ramachandran (A.P.R.) Pillai - Streamlining the Form Module Code in the standalone Class Module
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-06-24) and this one (2023-07-01).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control