Week in Review: March 4, 2023
Highlights include a trick to update parent form calculations without using subform events, translation tools in Access, and early/late binding declarations.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
Philipp Stiefel (CodeKabinett)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
- Emulated Split Form (UPDATED)
- Automatic Form Resizing - Part 4 (UPDATED)
- Automatic Form Resizing - Part 3 (UPDATED)
- Automatic Form Resizing - Part 2 (UPDATED)
- Automatic Form Resizing - Part 1 (UPDATED)
- AEU13: Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- Use Multiple Tags on Form Controls
- Set Default Control Properties in Forms & Reports
- Access News & Events (UPDATED)
- Access Videos (UPDATED)
- Access Application Translator (UPDATED)
- Translate and Speak (UPDATED)
- BUG: Disabled Datasheet Fields Undone By Events!
Crystal Long (Ms Access Gurus | Access Access Newsletter)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Translation Tools using Access (1:10:34): by Colin Riddington
Philipp Stiefel (YouTube channel)
Alessandro Grimaldi (YouTube channel)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- #7 Quick Queries (50:14): Hiding Access Interface, Runtime w Full Access, More!
- Same Value Multiple Records (16:06): Dynamic Default Value: Use the Same Value For Multiple Records During Data Entry in Microsoft Access
- Microsoft MVP Award (2:28): I've Been Given the Microsoft MVP Award for a 3rd Time!
- Association Database, Part 10 (24:37): Multi-Level Group Forms
- Association Database, Part 11 (29:35): Group Subform on the Person Form
- Colors in Access VBA (17:24): How to Get the Exact Color You Want in Microsoft Access VBA
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- 7 Methods to Clean Your Data (23:26): 7 Data Manipulations to Make Your Data Look Great!
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Lessons learned after 20 years of developing, managing and selling a software product, by Eugenio Tacchini
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- April 5, 2023: Duane Hookom - Creating calendar format reports
- April 6, 2023: Tom Wickerath and George Hepworth - Migrating Access Tables to SQL Server, a Comparison of Methods
- April 27-28, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access (TOPIC JUST ADDED)
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data (TOPIC JUST ADDED)
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There was ONE CHANGE to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-02-25) and this one (2023-03-04).
- A duplicate feature was added, "Modern Web Browser Control"
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control