Week in Review: November 12, 2022
Highlights include two new Access User Group recordings, a WizHook sample database and reference, and a couple of videos on macro blocking.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Crystal Long (Ms Access Gurus | Access Access Newsletter)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- AEU: PowerApps for Access Developers (1:04:37): by George Hepworth
- AP: Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud" (1:02:48): by Ned Pajic of Caspio
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Blocked! (9:08): How to Deal With the New Security Risk Warning in Microsoft Access
- Random AutoNumbers (7:38): Why Use Random AutoNumbers in Microsoft Access
- How to Use Microsoft Access (37:04): Beginner Tutorial
- Zero Length (31:56): The Difference Between Null and Zero Length String. Indicate No Middle Name.
- Word Count (15:08): How to Count the Number of Words in a Text Field in Microsoft Access
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Read File Names into Access (7:21): Reading File Names from Your Hard Drive into a Table
- Secure Deployment (9:30): Deploying a Custom Ribbon with your Application
Nifty Access [Tony Hine, aka Uncle Gizmo] (YouTube channel)
- TicTacToe - 1a (5:39)
- TicTacToe - 2a (2:28)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Nothing this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- November 17, 2022: Access Engineering Team - New and Upcoming in Access (JUST ADDED)
- December 1, 2022: Kent Gorell - Managing Selection Lists for Quick Data Entry (JUST ADDED)
- December 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Annotating Google Maps in Access
- December 13, 2022: Juan Soto - Access with SQL Server Academy Part II (review Part I here)
- January 4, 2023:
Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL ServerKarl Donaubauer - (topic to be confirmed) (JUST UPDATED)
- January 31, 2023: Colin Riddington - Translate & Speak Using Access
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- April 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - (topic to be confirmed) (JUST ADDED)
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server (JUST ADDED)
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed) (JUST ADDED)
There were no changes to the roadmap between last week (2022-11-05) and this week (2022-11-12). The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector