This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Access Releases 6 Issue Fixes in Version 2209 (Released September 26), by Linda Lu Cannon
- SQL for Query to list Relationships in Access database, by Crystal Long
- UPDATED: Calendar Maker, by Crystal Long
- Access – Playing With Database Properties, by Daniel Pineault
- VBA – Expand Short File or Path, by Daniel Pineault
- VBA – Padding a String To A Desired Length, by Daniel Pineault
- VBA – Timers, by Daniel Pineault
- UPDATED: JET ShowPlan Manager Add-In, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: Speed Test 8: Optimising Queries, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: Access/Windows/Office365 Version Check Add-In, by Colin Riddington
- Available Connections Add-In, by Colin Riddington
- Compare Control Help Text Methods, by Colin Riddington
- Greyed Out Controls : Disable or Lock? by Colin Riddington
- Writing Boilerplate Code by Hand is for Suckers, by Mike Wolfe
- Create a Class Module from a String in Microsoft Access, by Mike Wolfe
- Leadership Principles, by Mike Wolfe
- What is Database Normalization? by Mike Wolfe
- GenerateTVClass(): Auto-Create a TempVars Class Module, by Mike Wolfe
- Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Using Text-to-Speech TTS in Access (1:01:46): by David Nealey and Alessandro Grimaldi
- Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- All About Access in an Azure VM (1:23:49): by George Young
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Multi Language (21:35): How to Display Microsoft Access Database Labels, Buttons, and Other Controls in Multiple Languages
- Random Name Generator (45:55): How to Build a Random Name Generator in Microsoft Access VBA
- First Day of the Quarter (17:40): Find the First Day of the Quarter in Microsoft Access
- Status Box (29:08): Use a Status Box to Display Messages to Users on your Microsoft Access Forms. Great for Long Loops.
- Sleep (21:08): Using the Sleep Function to Make Your Database Wait in Microsoft Access VBA
- Coin Toss (27:05): How to Generate a Random Coin Toss (or a Thousand) in Microsoft Access VBA
- Age Demographics - Addendum (10:46): Age Demographics in Microsoft Access Using the Switch Function - TechHelp Addendum
- Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- VBA - Timers (22:19)
- VBA - PowerShell (21:23)
- Microsoft Access - Playing with Database Properties (24:13)
- Microsoft Access - Special Characters and Reserved Words (18:22)
- Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Three Expert Data Macros (10:16): Save Time with 3 More Data Macros!
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- VBA – Run PowerShell Command, by Daniel Pineault
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- October 25, 2022: Duane Hookom - Embedding a Table of Contents into a Report
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- November 3, 2022: Ned Pajic - Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud"
- December 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Annotating Google Maps in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- January 31, 2023: Colin Riddington - Translate & Speak Using Access
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access (JUST ADDED)
There were no changes to the roadmap between last week (2022-10-15) and this week (2022-10-22). The Access roadmap was last updated on May 31, 2022, and the development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)