This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Draw Shortcut Keys in Access, by Crystal Long
- Karl Donaubauer – Access News – 4th Edition, by Daniel Pineault
- VBA – Thunderbird Automation With Embedded Images, by Daniel Pineault
- Check Internet Connection Using Code, by Colin Riddington (aka, IslaDogs)
- List Environ Variables, by Colin Riddington
- Access News & Events, by Colin Riddington
- Change Resolution Using Code, by Colin Riddington
- Get Network Path, by Colin Riddington
- List All Installed Apps, by Colin Riddington
- Disable Design View In ACCDB Files, by Colin Riddington
- No Business Can Serve Two Masters, but Your Business Data Can, by Maria Barnes
- A GUID-Based Temporary File Name Generator, by Mike Wolfe
- 3 Ways to Generate Temporary File Names in VBA, by Mike Wolfe
- SetPredeclaredId(): Change the Hidden PredeclaredId Attribute of a VBA Class Module, by Mike Wolfe
- BUG ALERT: CurrentDb and DAO.OpenDatabase, by Mike Wolfe
- Access NewsCast with Karl Donaubauer: Episode 4, by Mike Wolfe
- Karl Donaubauer (YouTube channel)
- Access News: Episode 4 (24:31): News about Microsoft Access
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- VBA - Self-Healing Object Variables (30:50)
- VBA-Thunderbird Automation (15:06): Embedding Images In The Message Body
- Windows Explorer Right-Click Context Menu Creator (19:06): Detailed overview of my Windows Right-Click Context Menu Creator and a demonstration of how it can be used for any Microsoft Office application (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, ...)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- The Slow March of Progress in Programming Language Tooling, by Adam Gordon Bell (interesting lessons for the nascent twinBASIC project...)
- What Makes a Senior Engineer? Writing Software vs Building Systems, by Miłosz Piechocki
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- October 25, 2022: Duane Hookom - Embedding a Table of Contents into a Report
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- November 3, 2022: Ned Pajic - Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud"
- December 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Annotating Google Maps in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-10-01) and this week (2022-10-08). The Access roadmap was last updated on May 31, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)