This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Trends in the Access Job Market, by Karl Donaubauer
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Automated Export (20:47): Automated Export of Data from Microsoft Access to Excel with Just One Click
- Export to Excel (20:14): Exporting Data from Microsoft Access to Excel With Formatting
- Save As Text (15:28): Save & Load Database Objects as Text Files in Microsoft Access
- List Open Programs (19:44): List All Open Programs on the PC with Microsoft Access VBA and the EnumWindows Function
- RunSQL vs. Execute (15:33): What's the Difference Between DoCmd.RunSQL and CurrentDb.Execute in Microsoft Access
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- Quick Access Toolbar (13:24): Microsoft Office
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
Select Open Source Projects: New Releases
- msaccess-vcs-addin: v4.0.21-beta (dev branch)
• Add ability to export external database schemas (SQL, MySQL). #415
• Implement high-performance SQL formatter. #426
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Nothing new this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- September 12, 2023: Roy Kim - Fundamentals of Azure OpenAI
- September 21, 2023: Armen Stein - Advanced Database Design
- September 26, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Accessibility is for Everyone
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- October 5, 2023: Pat Hartman - Updateable Bound Forms with Denormalized Data
- October 19, 2023: Alessandro Grimaldi - "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- November 2, 2023: You? - Your Presentation Can Be Here! Contact George Hepworth
- November 16, 2023: Alexander Denz - ChatGPT in Access
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
- January 3, 2023: Ramachandran (A.P.R.) Pillai - Streamlining the Form Module Code in the standalone Class Module
- February 7, 2023: Carlos Quintero - Features of MZ-Tools to make you more productive with VBA
- Date To Be Determined: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts in the new Edge browser control (session postponed from its original September 6, 2023, time slot)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-09-02) and this one (2023-09-09).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control