Week in Review: May 13, 2023
Highlights include 3 publicly released videos from DevCon 2023 and an a.p.r. pillai article/Eric Blomquist video on using class modules to reduce form code.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- 3 Videos from Access DevCon 2023, by Karl Donaubauer
a.p.r. pillai (Learn MS-Access Tips and Tricks)
IT Impact (Access Experts)
Mathieu Guindon (Rubberduck VBA)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Crystal Long (Ms Access Gurus | Access Access Newsletter)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Using VBA Classes to Standardize Form and List Filtering (1:10:21): with Eric Blomquist
Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
Karl Donaubauer (YouTube channel) - DevCon 2023
- Click Here to Add Feature X! (51:55): with Kevin Bell and Karl Donaubauer
- Northwind 2 (55:03): with Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young
- twinBASIC Update (27:28): with Mike Wolfe
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- InStrRev (14:06): How to Use the InStrRev Function in Microsoft Access
- Replace a Natural Key (26:51): How to Replace a Natural Key with a Surrogate Key (Autonumber) in Microsoft Access
- Quick Queries #10 (31:02): DB in Use, Max Records, Criteria for Different Data Types, More!
- Filter Report (18:04): How to Filter a Report Based on the Filter Set in a Form in Microsoft Access
- User Level Security Part 3 (19:09): Allow Users to Only View, Edit Records They Created in Microsoft Access
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Basic Queries (7:51): Learn How to Create and Manage Queries in Your Database
- Relink Tables (Short): How to Relink Tables in Microsoft Access: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Navigating Tables (4:58): Using Tables in Microsoft Access: A Quick Guide
- Customize Import Specs (Short): How to Customize Your Import Specifications in Microsoft Access
- Database Normalization (10:44): Create an error-resistant database with Normalization
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Nothing new this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
May 18, 2023: Richard Rost - Custom Data Entry Filter Functions in Access(RESCHEDULED to August 17)
- May 30, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Northwind 2.0
- June 7, 2023: Tom van Stiphout- Introducing Northwind 2.0
- June 15, 2023: Alessandro Grimaldi - "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- July 20, 2023: Mike Wolfe - Form Templates in Microsoft Access (JUST ADDED)
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- August 17, 2023: Richard Rost - Custom Data Entry Filter Functions in Access (RESCHEDULED from May 18)
- August 29, 2023: Lenni Lobel - Introduction to Azure Cosmos DB
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-05-06) and this one (2023-05-13).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control