This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Access DevCon 2023, Agenda+Schedule, by Karl Donaubauer
Crystal Long (Access Access Newsletter)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- Integrating Better Access Charts into an Application (1:21:12): by Phil Ferrero
Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Percent Bug! (14:37): Bug or Feature? Demystifying Percentage Data Entry in Microsoft Access: Tips and Workarounds
- Replication ID (12:01): What is a Replication ID in Microsoft Access and When Would I Use One?
- Disable AutoSave (16:23): How to Disable Automatic Record Saving in Microsoft Access
- Database Launcher (14:34): Create a Database Launcher that Opens Other Microsoft Access Databases
- ChatGPT VBA Code (9:33): Enhance Your Microsoft Access Database with ChatGPT-Generated VBA Code
- r/MSAccess (1:42): An Excellent Resource for Microsoft Access Help & Assistance: Reddit r/MSAccess
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- Opening External Files and URLs (12:39)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Syntax, Semantics, Micronesian cults and Novice Programmers, by Eric Lippert
- COM Registration, by Ben Clothier
- Something Pretty Right: The History and Legacy of Visual Basic, by Ryan Lucas
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- March 28, 2023: Maria Barnes - Explore the new Edge Web Browser control in Insiders (JUST ADDED)
- April 5, 2023: Duane Hookom - Creating calendar format reports
- April 6, 2023: Tom Wickerath and George Hepworth - Migrating Access Tables to SQL Server, a Comparison of Methods
- April 20, 2023: Tom van Stiphout - Northwind 2.0 Is Here! (JUST ADDED)
- April 25, 2023: Maria Barnes - What's New with Access?
- April 27-28, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-03-18) and this one (2023-03-25).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control