This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Video: The Current State of Access, by Karl Donaubauer
Crystal Long (Access Access Newsletter)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
- Returning Multiple Values from a Function in VBA Using a UDT
- Using ByRef to Return Multiple Values from a Sub (or Function)
- Creating Form Skeletons with VBA
- Detect if an Access Report is in Preview Mode, Report Mode, or Being Sent to the Printer
- 5 Ways to Build Consistent Form User Interfaces in Microsoft Access
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- SQL Server with Access Academy - Part IV (1:15:56): Create, link and make views to edit data with Juan Soto
Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Draw Moon (0:30): Draw the Moon on Access Reports using VBA
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Lock Specific Field (11:28): How to Lock a Specific Field Once a Value Has Been Entered in Microsoft Access
- Association Database, Part 9 (25:55): Major Revision - Replacing Family with Groups
- Filenames with Weird Characters (16:28): Problems Working With Filenames That Have Non-Standard ASCII Characters in Microsoft Access VBA
- List Box Column Align Right (20:40): How to Get a List Box Column to Align Right in Microsoft Access (Text Alignment)
- Multiple Yes/No (19:08): How to Replace Multiple Yes/No Fields With Properly Relational Solution in Microsoft Access
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- Modern Date Time Pickers (6:36)
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- February 28, 2023: Crystal Long - Loop and Link CSV Files (JUST ADDED)
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- March 2, 2023: Pat Hartman - Bad Data is Bad for Business
- April 5, 2023: Duane Hookom - Creating calendar format reports (TOPIC JUST ADDED)
- April 6, 2023: Tom Wickerath and George Hepworth - Migrating Access Tables to SQL Server, a Comparison of Methods
- April 27-28, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - (topic details to follow)
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - (topic details to follow)
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-02-18) and this one (2023-02-25). The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control