Weeks in Review: January 28, 2023
I'm back! Highlights from the past two weeks include using web APIs in Access, Rubberduck 3.0 news, using the registry from VBA, and more on ChatGPT.
I'm back from vacation and returning to my regular daily routine. If you were disappointed that there was no Week in Review last week, you'll be relieved to know that I included two weeks worth of updates in today's edition. Enjoy!
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Access Releases 4 Issue Fixes in Version 2212 (Released January 4, 2023), by Linda Lu Cannon
- Access Conferences in 2023, by Karl Donaubauer
Juan Soto (Access Experts)
Mathieu Guindon (Rubberduck VBA)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Crystal Long (Ms Access Gurus | Access Access Newsletter)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
- Archive Collection: Humor
- Archive Collection: Form Design
- Archive Collection: Defensive Programming
- Archive Collection: Tools
- Archive Collection: Test-Driven Development
- Archive Collection: twinBASIC
- Archive Collection: Bug Types
- Archive Collection: Hidden Features
- Debug Documentation: Signal vs. Noise Edition
- How to Duplicate a Line of Code in VBA
- Micro-Efficiency: Duplicating Line(s) of Code in VBA
- Guard Clauses
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- SQL Server Academy Part III: DSNLess Connections and Views (1:10:58): with Juan Soto and Mark Edwards
- VBA Signing in Microsoft Access (46:22): with Maria Barnes
Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- Using Web APIs in Access (1:24:37): with George Young
Alessandro Grimaldi (YouTube channel)
- Colored Ticker (1:10)
Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Draw Rainbows (10:14): Draw a Rainbow on Access Reports
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Association Database, Part 2 (28:30): Laying Out Tables & Forms
- Association Database, Part 3 (30:21): Modifying TechHelp Template, Building All Tables
- Association Database, Part 4 (34:22): Person Form, Family Combo, Form, Head of Family Combo
- Association Database, Part 5 (23:18): Family Member List, Edit Members, Family List Form
- Association Database, Part 6 (17:43): Helper Type Form, Helper Form, Lists of Lists
- Association Database, Part 7 (15:44): Combo Boxes for Helper Data
- Math in Fields (18:34): Entering Math Equations in Microsoft Access Fields Like You Can in Excel
- Changing Query Data Sources (8:09): How to Quickly & Easily Change the Data Sources in a Microsoft Access Query
- Zodiac Signs (14:54): How to Display Zodiac Signs and Symbols Based on Date of Birth in your Microsoft Access Database
- Images from the Web (12:54): Display Images from the Web in your Microsoft Access Forms and Reports Using the Image Control
- Poll 2023 January (2:09): What Topics do YOU Want to See Next?
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Retrieve & Parse JSON From the Web (13:32): Getting UPC Data from the Web and Parsing it Into a Table
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Nothing new this week
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- January 31, 2023: Colin Riddington - Translate & Speak Using Access
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - State-of-the-art charts in Access with chart.js
- February 2, 2023: Linda Ewen - Using Temp Tables in Access to Manage Data Processing Tasks
- February 16, 2023: Karl Donaubauer - The Current State of Access
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- March 2, 2023: Speakers TBA - Migrating Access Tables to SQL Server, a Comparison of Methods
- April 5, 2023: Duane Hookom - (topic details to follow)
- April 6, 2023: Jack Stockton - Multi-Language Support in Access applications
- April 20-21, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna (tentative dates)
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access (JUST ADDED - rescheduled from Dec 2022)
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - (topic details to follow)
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-01-14) and this one (2023-01-28). The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap (NOTE: as of publication, this link leads to an unfiltered view of the entire Microsoft 365 roadmap because as of the week of December 10, 2022, there are no Access items shown on the roadmap).
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector