This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Naming of linked SQL Server tables is inconsistent, by Karl Donaubauer
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Using REST/APIs in Access (1:35:02): by Juanjo Luna
Alessandro Grimaldi (YouTube channel)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Dirty Property (9:43): Working with Dirty Records in Microsoft Access
- Caption Property (12:24): How to Use the Caption Property in Microsoft Access
- Visible Property (9:18): Show or Hide Fields Based on Another Field's Value Using the Visible Property in Microsoft Access
- Association Database, Part 1 (28:49): Microsoft Access Association Database, Part 1 (Groups, Clubs, Churches, Schools, etc.)
- Signatures (13:10): How to Collect Signatures on Forms in Microsoft Access with the InkPicture ActiveX Control
- Access Rewind (6:22): Richard's "Week-in-Review" for his own videos
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- We invested 10% to pay back tech debt; Here's what happened, by Alex Ewerlöf
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- January 19, 2023: George Young - Using Web API's in Access (JUST ADDED)
- January 31, 2023: Colin Riddington - Translate & Speak Using Access
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - State-of-the-art charts in Access with chart.js
- February 2, 2023: Linda Ewen - Using Temp Tables in Access to Manage Data Processing Tasks (TOPIC JUST ADDED)
- February 16, 2023: Karl Donaubauer - The Current State of Access (JUST ADDED)
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- March 2, 2023: Speakers TBA - Migrating Access Tables to SQL Server, a Comparison of Methods (JUST ADDED)
- April 5, 2023: Duane Hookom - (topic details to follow)
- April 6, 2023: Jack Stockton - Multi-Language Support in Access applications (JUST ADDED)
- April 20-21, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna (tentative dates)
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - (topic details to follow)
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2023-01-07) and this week (2023-01-14). The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap (NOTE: as of publication, this link leads to an unfiltered view of the entire Microsoft 365 roadmap because as of the week of December 10, 2022, there are no Access items shown on the roadmap).
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector