This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Let's celebrate the Bug of the Year!, by Karl Donaubauer
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
- Stretch/Shrink Forms (5:41): Stretch/Shrink Forms using Automatic Form Resizing
Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Draw Christmas Tree (7:37): Draw Christmas Tree on Access Report
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- 2023 Preview (3:12): Happy New Year 2023 from Richard Rost at Computer Learning Zone
- Access Compactor (3:09): Microsoft Access Automated Compact and Repair Tool With Nightly Or Weekly Event
- ChatGPT (5:02): ChatGPT Creates a List of Fifteen Fictitious Names with Formatting
- Transaction Tables (11:35): Three Methods for Creating Tables to Track Transactions in Microsoft Access
- Followups - Part 3 (17:47): Create a Customer Followup Database in Microsoft Access: Part 3
- Followups - Part 4 (29:04): Create a Customer Followup Database in Microsoft Access: Part 4
- Followups - Part 5 (18:21): Create a Customer Followup Database in Microsoft Access: Part 5
- Followups - Part 6 (29:06): Create a Customer Followup Database in Microsoft Access: Part 6
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Strangler Fig Application, by Martin Fowler (A risk-minimizing approach for rewriting complex applications)
- How to serialize objects in VBA, by Alexey Kudinov
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- January 4, 2023: Karl Donaubauer - A baker's dozen of tips, tricks and tools in 60 minutes
- January 5, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Using REST/API calls with Access (Spanish to English translation will be provided)
- January 31, 2023: Colin Riddington - Translate & Speak Using Access
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - State-of-the-art charts in Access with chart.js
- February 2, 2023: Linda Ewen - (topic to be announced)
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- April 5, 2023: Duane Hookom - (topic details to follow)
- April 20-21, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna (tentative dates)
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - (topic details to follow)
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-12-24) and this week (2022-12-31). The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap (NOTE: as of publication, this link leads to an unfiltered view of the entire Microsoft 365 roadmap because as of the week of December 10, 2022, there are no Access items shown on the roadmap).
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector