This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- How I bombed at my last presentation – yes, it happens to all of us, by Juan Soto
- Date and Time in Multiple Time Zones, by Philipp Stiefel
- SQL for Query to list Query Expressions in Access database, by Crystal Long
- Bring a Window/Application to the Front, by Daniel Pineault
- Determine the Current Ribbon State and Change It, by Daniel Pineault
- UIAutomation – Minimize and Maximize the Office Ribbon, by Daniel Pineault
- UIAutomation – Is The MS Office Ribbon Expanded or Collapse?, by Daniel Pineault
- Microsoft Access Navigation Pane Automation Via UIAutomation, by Daniel Pineault
- Microsoft Access Navigation Pane Automation Via UIAutomation Cont’d, by Daniel Pineault
- View Access Help, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: Access Error Codes, by Colin Riddington
- Is Form Open as a Subform? by Colin Riddington
- Is Form Loaded? by Colin Riddington
- Combo Box Auto Dropdown, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: Complex Deep Hidden Attachment Mystery, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: Formatted Message Box, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: Access Add-Ins, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: School Data Analyser, by Colin Riddington
- Happy Birthday. Access Is 30!, by Colin Riddington
- What is a Data Fabric, by Maria Barnes
- Follow-Up: Avoiding Context Switching, by Mike Wolfe
- WizHook: A Hidden Access Object With Intriguing Potential, by Mike Wolfe
- Wiz(): Never Forget to Set the WizHook Magic Key, by Mike Wolfe
- WizMsg(): A Simple Way to Create a MsgBox with Bold Text, by Mike Wolfe
- Prepare for the Upcoming Death of IE11, by Mike Wolfe
- Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
- Attachment Mystery (19:54): A Deep Hidden And Complex Access Attachment Mystery
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Data Macro (9:30): Update a Table Field Whenever the Record is Changed using a Data Macro in Microsoft Access
- And Or Not (9:11): Proper Microsoft Access Query Criteria Logic with And, Or, & Not
- Fill in PDF (33:06): How to Fill in PDF Forms with Data from Microsoft Access. Populate PDF Form with Access Data.
- SendKeys (18:26): Using the SendKeys Function in Microsoft Access; the King of "Good Enough Sometimes" Functions.
- Follow Hyperlink (23:31): Open Websites, Documents, Folders, Email, More Using FollowHyperlink Command in Microsoft Access VBA
- Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Import/Export From/To Excel (10:41): Real-Life Examples of Access Imports from and Exports to Excel
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Nothing new this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- November 3, 2022: Ned Pajic - Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud"
- December 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Annotating Google Maps in Access
- December 13, 2022: Juan Soto - Access with SQL Server Academy Part II (JUST ADDED) - (review Part I here)
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- January 31, 2023: Colin Riddington - Translate & Speak Using Access
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
There were two changes to the roadmap between last week (2022-10-22) and this week (2022-10-29). ODBC and DAO Interface Support–launched nearly two years ago in January 2021–finally came off of the Access Roadmap. This leaves the only other new "feature" launched in nearly two years the Access Dataverse Connector.
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector