This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022, by Michael Aldridge
- Access Roadmap Update (Oct 2022), by Colin Riddington
- Get Default Printer, by Colin Riddington
- AEU8: Cataloguing & searching emails, by Colin Riddington
- Is Location Trusted?, by Colin Riddington
- Update All Form & Report Fonts, by Colin Riddington
- Table Size Check, by Colin Riddington
- How to monetize your data with artificial intelligence (AI) & analytics, by Maria Barnes
- Bug Alert Follow-Up: CurrentDb and DAO.OpenDatabase, by Mike Wolfe
- WriteTempFile(): A Simple VBA Function to Save Text to a New Temporary File, by Mike Wolfe
- The Problems with Boilerplate Code, by Mike Wolfe
- BUG ALERT: FortiClient VPN and Windows Update KB5018410, by Mike Wolfe
- VBA: A Simple Programming Language, by Mike Wolfe
- Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Age Demographics (20:54): Get a Count of Customers by Bracketed Age Demographic Group Ranges in Microsoft Access
- Decades (12:22): How to Show the Decade for a Date Value in Microsoft Access
- After Update (10:50): How to Update Data Automatically Using the After Update Event in Microsoft Access
- Check Spelling (13:35): How to Check Spelling in Microsoft Access Forms
- Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- Microsoft Access Basics (31:10): What You Need To Know Before You Get Started [EDITOR'S NOTE: This video includes a great section on both the strengths and weaknesses of Microsoft Access.]
- Managing Tables (12:18): Tables (Importing, Linking) and the Linked Table Manager
- Generate Charts in Excel (16:36)
- Export Data to Excel (32:25)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Nothing new this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- October 20, 2022: George Young - All About Access in an Azure VM (JUST ADDED)
- October 25, 2022: Duane Hookom - Embedding a Table of Contents into a Report
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- November 3, 2022: Ned Pajic - Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud"
- December 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Annotating Google Maps in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- January 31, 2023: Colin Riddington - Translate & Speak Using Access (JUST ADDED)
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server (JUST ADDED)
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access (JUST ADDED)
There were no changes to the roadmap itself between last week (2022-10-08) and this week (2022-10-15). The Access roadmap was last updated on May 31, 2022. However, the DEVELOPMENT PRIORITIES WERE UPDATED for the first time since May 31, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)