Week in Review: September 3, 2022
Highlights include an add-in to check Access/Windows/Office versions, a query metadata viewer, and multiple ways to change the mouse cursor in MS Access.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- VBA to list Built-in and Custom Word Document Properties, by Crystal Long
- Access – Controlling the Mouse Cursor, by Daniel Pineault
- Access/Windows/Office365 Version Check Add-In, by Colin Riddington
- Query Metadata Viewer, by Colin Riddington
- PREDICTION: Companies that Depend on Cookie Cutter Business Software Could End Up Getting Their Just Desserts, by Maria Barnes
- ActiveX Controls: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?, by Mike Wolfe
- Access Job Interview Questions: Follow-up Q&A, by Mike Wolfe
- UseHand(): Changing the Mouse Cursor in Microsoft Access, by Mike Wolfe
- NewSort(): Sort a Continuous Form by Clicking on the Column Label, by Mike Wolfe
- VIDEO: Sorting Continuous Forms, by Mike Wolfe
- Mike Wolfe [NoLongerSet] (YouTube channel)
- Sort by Column Labels (12:17): NewSort(): Sort a Continuous Form by Clicking on the Column Label
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Font Size (11:51): How to Change the Font Size of Specific Fields at Runtime with Buttons in Microsoft Access VBA
- Open Date Picker (16:38): How to Open the Date Picker Automatically When You Click on a Field or Tab to it in Microsoft Access
- Error Handling (12:57): Error Handling & Debugging: How to Properly Handle Errors in Microsoft Access VBA
- Type Mismatch (19:53): How to Handle Data Type Mismatch Errors in Microsoft Access
- Verify Credit Card Numbers (30:29): How to Verify Credit Card Numbers and Expiration Dates in Microsoft Access
- Try It Yourself! (12:22): Always Try It Yourself Before Asking for Help in Microsoft Access or Pretty Much Anything!
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Round elements of a sum to match a total, by Gustav Brock
- Why It’s Great To Be A Consultant, by Ian Miell
- My Access Database doesn't Work! (How Not to Get Your Questions Answered in an On-Line Forum), by George Hepworth
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- September 13, 2022: Juan Soto (?) - SQL Server with Access Academy Part 1
- September 15, 2022: George Hepworth - Book Collection Management Using Power Apps (and Access)
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Cataloguing and searching emails with Access
- October 6, 2022: Brian Krotine - Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud"
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-08-27) and this week (2022-09-03).
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)