Week in Review: July 30, 2022
Highlights include tips for designing Access apps for tablet use, sorting forms by combo box columns, and CUPID--an alternative to SOLID principles.
NOTE: If you know of any Microsoft Access articles published in the past 7 days that I missed, please let me know in the comments below. I'm especially interested in websites that publish regular Access content (at least several times per year). Thanks in advance for helping out!
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Karl Donaubauer – Access News – New Edition, by Daniel Pineault
- UPDATED: Optimise Queries, by Colin Riddington
- Using the Scroll Lock Key in Excel, by Colin Riddington
- Limit the Number of Records, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: Synchronise Subform Scrolling, by Colin Riddington
- Running Access on a Tablet PC, by Colin Riddington
- Sort Form by Column of Combo Box, by Crystal Long
- Mike Wolfe [NoLongerSet] (YouTube channel)
- Modern On/Off Switches in Access (12:48)
- Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
- Limit the Number of Records (4:14): Prevent users from entering more than a certain number of records
- Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Sort by ComboBox (19:21): Sort Access Form by Combobox Column
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Validation Rules (14:16): Using Validation Rules in Microsoft Access to Set Limits for Data Entry
- Customer Discount (23:42): Customer-Based Discounts in Microsoft Access Order Entry. Using Combo Box Column Properties
- BMI (18:24): How to Calculate BMI (Body Mass Index) in Microsoft Access and Display the Description (Obese, etc.)
- Document Index (31:07): Building a Searchable Document Index in Microsoft Access (Word Docs, PDF Files, Text Files, etc.)
- Nifty Access [Tony Hine, aka Uncle Gizmo] (YouTube channel)
- Google Sheet import (2:05): Get Data From Google Sheet into MS Access - Nifty Access
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- CUPID–for Joyful Coding: an alternative to SOLID principles (h/t @vcontracttracing)
- Arrogant, subtle, entitled: 'Toxic' open source GitHub discussions examined
"What does GitHub toxicity look like? Here's one of the discussions, from the Elementary OS repo two years ago, cited by Miller, who points to passages like, 'The problem is your team forcing us to use the OS the way you want us to use it although it makes it 1,000,000 times harder to use it your way, than what would be convenient for us.'"
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- August 3, 2022: Peter Cole - Automating 32-bit to 64-bit VBA Conversion
- September 1, 2022: Jack Stockton - Codifying Long Names into Unique Codes
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Graphical Interfaces in Access
- October 6, 2022: Brian Krotine - Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud"
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less connections to SQL Server
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-07-23) and this week (2022-07-30).
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)