NOTE: If you know of any Microsoft Access articles published in the past 7 days that I missed, please let me know in the comments below. I'm especially interested in websites that publish regular Access content (at least several times per year). Thanks in advance for helping out!
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Access Fix Now Available for VBA Security Patch Issue, by Michael Aldridge
- Database Backup Restore From Desktop, by a.p.r. pillai
- Karl Donaubauer – Access News – New Edition, by Daniel Pineault
- Create Custom Splash Form, by Colin Riddington
- Access Studio, by Colin Riddington
- Access Command Line Switches, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: Control the Application Interface, by Colin Riddington
- ASCII Character Set, by Colin Riddington
- Editing non-editable Form: OP is looking for a workaround to allow editing a form based on a UNION query
- List Database Design Changes since a specific date: Hey, that's what version control is for!
- On No Data: I recently published a function for just such an occasion: InformNoData().
- Difficulty Answering Questions: Over at AWF, Uncle Gizmo resurrected this 14-year-old discussion about the quality of the questions being asked on the forum and whether they have declined. Interesting points made by several commenters.
Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- Custom List Box Columns in Access (38:28): Presented by Richard Rost
Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
- Splash Form (8:21): Create a Custom Splash Form in Access
Karl Donaubauer (YouTube channel)
- Access News (19:00): Edition 3 (April - June 2022) including an interview with Access MVP Philipp Stiefel.
Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Searchable Document Index (8:36): Microsoft Word Automation, DOC, PDF to TXT
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Either I learned nothing new this week...or I forgot to make a note of it. I'll try to do better next week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- August 3, 2022: Peter Cole - Automating 32-bit to 64-bit VBA Conversion
- September 1, 2022: Jack Stockton - Codifying Long Names into Unique Codes
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Graphical Interfaces in Access
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less connections to SQL Server
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-07-16) and this week (2022-07-23).
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)