Week in Review: July 9, 2022
Highlights include code to activate a specific ribbon tab, a deep dive into the innards (and dangers) of multivalue fields, and--yes--more Access bugs.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Access Bug – .Fields Not Working Anymore, by Daniel Pineault
- Purpose of the ‘Fixes or workarounds’ Page, by Daniel Pineault
- Access Bug – DoCmd.OutputTo acFormatXLSX Doesn’t Work, by Daniel Pineault
- Access Bug – The Case of the Disappearing Status Bar, by Daniel Pineault
- VBA – Activate a Specific Ribbon Tab, by Daniel Pineault
- Access – VBA – Set Focus On Specific Document Tab, by Daniel Pineault
- Access – Devastation, by Daniel Pineault
- Multivalued Fields...& why you shouldn't use them, by Colin Riddington
- Synchronise Subform Scrolling (UPDATED), by Colin Riddington
- Folder Image Viewer (UPDATED), by Colin Riddington
- Wait...what? Using ByVal in parameter of a function CALL?
- Fill PDF form in VBA code from XML file or XFDF file
- Access with breaking changes on Version 2206 (Recordset2.Fields returns DAO.Field3 instead of DAO.Field2) - Error 13
- How MS Access 64 bit import or link from Visual FoxPro database?
- Why do 1/0 and Sqr (-1) throw error in MSOffice VBA, but not in VB.NET?
- Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Dependent Combobox (4:19): Combobox in Access where values are Dependent on another Combobox (cascading) ~ DataPig
- Combobox (2:53): Setting up Combobox on an Access Form in Design View ~ DataPig
- Calendar Control (6:12): Setting up the Access ActiveX Calendar Control ~ DataPig
- Align Control (3:41): Aligning and Sizing Controls on Access Forms ~ DataPig
- Slider Control (7:37): Step by step set up and usage of the ActiveX Slider Control for Access ~ DataPig
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Triple State (10:49): Using Triple State Check Boxes in Microsoft Access
- Gray Out Fields (10:50): How to Gray Out Fields Based on A Selected Value in Microsoft Access Forms
- Beginner 2, Lesson 7 (5:21): Coming Up Next in Beginner Level 3...
- Beginner 2, Lesson 6 (25:12): Questions From Students, Custom Ribbon, Access on Mac, More
- Product Catalog (30:34): Creating a Product Catalog Report in Microsoft Access with Multiple Images (Pictures) Per Record
- Developer 38 (5:36): VBA for Multivalued Fields, Images in Form Columns. Image Gallery.
- Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube channel)
- Updateable Queries (5:18): Using Updateable Queries, Know the Rules
- Splitting the Database (6:05): Improve Multi-user Performance by Creating a Front and Back End
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- July 21, 2022: Richard Rost - Custom List Box Columns
- August 3, 2022: Peter Cole - Automating 32-bit to 64-bit VBA Conversion
- September 1, 2022: Jack Stockton - Codifying Long Names into Unique Codes
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Graphical Interfaces in Access
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less connections to SQL Server
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-07-02) and this week (2022-07-09).
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)