Week in Review: June 4, 2022
Highlights include major changes to the Access roadmap, Richard Rost's Beginner Access video course is now free, and research on developer interviews.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities, by Michael Aldridge
- The science of interviewing developers, by Isaac Lyman at stackoverflow.com
- Power Automate – Flow – Loosing HTML Tags, by Daniel Pineault
- Getting Website Info Without Using a WebBrowser Control, by Daniel Pineault
- Is Your Data Being Used as an Asset? Or is it a Pain in the…, by Maria Barnes
- VBA - How to open folder without knowing the full name
- #DELETE viewing SQL Server table in Access The most recent bug in Access 365 rears its ugly head.
- Is it possible to search for gaps between records?
- Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Nz Function (2:16): Avoiding pitfalls when data has Null instead of an actual value ~ DataPig
- Left and Right Functions (2:00): Left and Right functions in Microsoft Access ~ DataPig
- InStr Function (7:22): InStr (in string ) function in Microsoft Access ~ DataPig
- IIF Function (4:36): The versatile Immediate If (IIF) Function ~ DataPig
- Delete Query + Subquery (1:21): Delete Query with SubQuery ~ DataPig
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Military Time (10:51): How to Enter and Display Military Time (24 Hour Time) Without a Colon Separator in Microsoft Access
- Terms of Sale (16:19): How to Select Different Terms of Sale Text for Invoices Based on Type of Sale in Microsoft Access
- Format Property & Function (9:09): How to Change the Way Data is Displayed with the Format Property and Function in Microsoft Access
- List Items Edit Form Set Value (11:25): How To Set the Return Value in a Combo Box After Using a List Items Edit Form in Microsoft Access
- Fix Poor Quality Images (13:13): How to Fix Poor Image Quality in your Microsoft Access Reports when Printing or Creating PDFs
- Access Beginner 2, Lesson 1 (9:01): Microsoft Access Beginner 2, Lesson 01: Getting Started. Security Warning. Trusted Location. Review.
- Access Beginner 2, Lesson 0 (4:08): Microsoft Access Beginner 2, Lesson 00: Introduction. What's Covered.
- Full Course Microsoft Access (3:01): I've Decided to Post My Entire Microsoft Access Beginner Tutorial Series Here on YouTube For FREE!
NOTE: The new videos posted to Crystal's YouTube page are part of an effort to preserve the Access content of retiring creators.
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Nothing to share here this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- June 16, 2022: Karl Donaubauer - Design Patterns with Access
- July 6, 2022: Mike Wolfe - Building Ribbon Interfaces in Code
- August 3, 2022: Peter Cole - Automating 32-bit to 64-bit VBA Conversion
- September 1, 2022: Jack Stockton - Codifying Long Names into Unique Codes
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Graphical Interfaces in Access
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
There were major changes to the roadmap this week.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)