The Week in Review is the best way to keep up with the latest and greatest from the world of Microsoft Access. Every Saturday, I publish links from around the web. If you find or publish content that you think should be included, email me at mike at nolongerset dot com, tag me on Twitter @nolongerset, or tag me on LinkedIn Mike Wolfe. I retain full editorial control of what appears here. There are no paid or affiliate links, only high quality Microsoft Access content.
Click the "Subscribe" button above to receive this weekly update–along with links to my other daily articles–in your inbox every Sunday morning.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- The Access Connector for Dataverse and Power Platform Is Released for General Availability, by Michael Aldridge (Microsoft Access Principal Program Manager)
- Annotate Google Maps in Access, by Colin Riddington
- GetDiskFreeSpace Windows API, by a.p.r. pillai
- Getting Website Info Using the WebBrowser Control, by Daniel Pineault
- Latest Office Update - Version 2204: Source of New Bugs?, by Daniel Pineault
- SQL Server Express Istallation Dialog Feedback, by Daniel Pineault
- ALERT: Office Version 2204 may break Access applications, by Ben Clothier
- How can I cancel a button's action on an Access form if the button is double clicked?
- How does VBA ByRef work behind the scenes?
- Knowing the name of the current sub in code
- "No current record" error now affecting all versions of my database
- Sub records?
- Special Sort
- Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Learn how to Sell Access with SQL Server Projects (1:03:19) - by Juan Soto
- Classic vs. Modern Charts (1:15:44) - by Crystal Long
- Karl Donaubauer (YouTube channel)
Karl released 3 of the 14 sessions from the recent Access DevCon Vienna conference to the general public (the other session recordings are now available to paid attendees). I wrote about briefly about these presentations earlier this week: 3 Access DevCon 2022 Video Recordings Released.
- VBA Tips & Tricks (34:42) - by Alessandro Grimaldi
- twinBASIC Update (45:21) - by Mike Wolfe
- New Access Front-end Deployment Service (24:54) - by Kevin Bell
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Multivalued Fields (22:49): Microsoft Access Multivalued Fields: What They Are, How to Use Them, and When You Should Avoid Them
- Number Field Size (8:21): Microsoft Access Number Field Sizes. What To Do If Your Number Values Keep Rounding Off
- Export to Word (19:14): How to Export a Report from Microsoft Access to a Microsoft Word Document
- On Click Event Timing (10:48): Microsoft Access VBA On Click Event Timing: When On Click Events Fire. Form, Section, Control, etc.
- Invalid Use of Null (8:52): Microsoft Access Visual Basic Run-time Error 94: Invalid Use of Null. Dealing with Null Values.
- Event Handler Function (8:19): Event Handler VBA Function for Multiple Controls in Microsoft Access Forms
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- How to work with Access attachment field from Windows Forms? Albert Kallal provides some very interesting insights into how Access attachment fields work behind the scenes
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- May 19, 2022: Kevin Bell - AppLauncher (a new Access front-end deployment service)
- June 1, 2022: Alan Cossey - Standard Module Object Generation
- June 2, 2022: Crystal Long - Drawing the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements with an Access Report
- June 16, 2022: Karl Donaubauer - Design Patterns with Access
- July 6, 2022: Mike Wolfe - Building Ribbon Interfaces in Code
- August 3, 2022: Peter Cole - Automating 32-bit to 64-bit VBA Conversion
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Graphical Interfaces in Access
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
No changes from last week.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
MAR 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
MAR 2022: New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Inconsistent Database Error Fix ("Monster Bug")
SEP 2022:New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
SEP 2022: Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
DEC 2022: SQL Monaco Editor
Keep in mind, at the 2022 Access DevCon, Michael Aldridge from Microsoft gave an update on the Access Roadmap and warned that it would soon change to show only items that the team has 90% confidence that they will be able to deliver.
Long story short, everything from the above list except for the Dataverse Connector will be disappearing when the Access team updates the official roadmap (that apparently hasn't happened yet).
The items that disappear off the roadmap will be shown in priority order on an official Microsoft blog post. When that happens, I will update my Week in Review to include both the official Access Roadmap and the evolving list of priorities.