This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Official Access Blog
- Access Releases 6 Issue Fixes in Version 2306 (Released June 26th, 2023), by Linda Lu Cannon
- Access Forever
- Now you CAN open more tables and databases, by Colin Riddington
- a.p.r. pillai (Learn MS-Access Tips and Tricks)
- Maria Barnes (Business Data Bytes Newsletter)
- Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Import Related (23:49): Import Data From Another Microsoft Access Database and Preserve Relationships & AutoNumbers
- Import Access (12:21): How to Import Data From Another Microsoft Access Database
- Search As You Type (21:32): How to Create a Search-As-You-Type Box in Microsoft Access
- Combo Box (10:44): What is a Combo Box in Microsoft Access?
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- The hardest part of building software is not coding, it’s requirements, by Jared Toporek
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- July 20, 2023: George Hepworth - Extending Access with a PowerApps Barcode Scanner
- August 2, 2023: Juanjo Luna - An Access Developer Guide to creating applications in Blazor
- August 3, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Global Error Handlers
- August 17, 2023: Richard Rost - Custom Data Entry Filter Functions in Access
- August 29, 2023: Lenni Lobel - Introduction to Azure Cosmos DB
- September 6, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts in the new Edge browser control
- September 7, 2023: John Colby - Event Driven Programming
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- October 19, 2023: Alessandro Grimaldi - "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
- January 3, 2023: Ramachandran (A.P.R.) Pillai - Streamlining the Form Module Code in the standalone Class Module
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-07-01) and this one (2023-07-08).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control