This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
Philipp Stiefel (CodeKabinett)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- What's new in Microsoft Access (55:41): by Maria Barnes
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Building a Calculator in Microsoft Access - Part 4 (17:13)
- Building a Calculator in Microsoft Access - Part 5 (17:47)
- Building a Calculator in Microsoft Access - Part 6 (20:37)
- Hide with Macro (18:51): How to Show or Hide Controls in a Microsoft Access Report Using a Macro (Without VBA)
- Object Size Analyzer (3:30): Determine Sizes of Objects in Your Database
- Plural (12:38): How to Display Singular or Plural Forms of Words Based on a Value in Microsoft Access
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Parameter Queries (8:19): Managing Complex Data: A Deep Dive into Parameter Queries
- Calculating Profit & Discount (7:02): Calculating Profit and Discount Percentages from Sales Data
- Working with Dates (7:18): Become a Time Lord: Mastering Date Functions in Microsoft Access
- Computational Errors (8:40): Handling Computational Errors and Null Values in Access Queries
- More Query Types (6:20): A Guide to Query Types in Access for Data Analysis
- Query Operators (7:01): *Understanding and Using Operators in Your Queries
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Nothing new this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- May 30, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Northwind 2.0
- June 1, 2023: Tom Wickerath and Kent Gorrell - Maintaining Data Integrity during Migrations
- June 7, 2023: Tom van Stiphout- Introducing Northwind 2.0
- June 15, 2023: Alessandro Grimaldi - "VBA Pills" - Access Tips and Tricks
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- July 6, 2023: Greg Regan - Great Interface Design
- July 20, 2023: Mike Wolfe - Form Templates in Microsoft Access
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- August 3, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Global Error Handlers
- August 17, 2023: Richard Rost - Custom Data Entry Filter Functions in Access
- August 29, 2023: Lenni Lobel - Introduction to Azure Cosmos DB
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- September 7, 2023: John Colby - Event Driven Programming
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-05-20) and this one (2023-05-27).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control