This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Announcing New Templates for Microsoft Access: Northwind 2.0 is here!, by George Hepworth
- Northwind 2.0 Is Live and Ready for YOU, by George Hepworth
a.p.r. pillai (Learn MS-Access Tips and Tricks)
Crystal Long (Access Access Newsletter)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- New Edge Browser Control (1:05:17): by Maria Barnes, George Hepworth, and Colin Riddington
Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- Northwind 2.0 Is Here! (1:26:20): with Tom van Stiphout and the Northwind team
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Append Only (16:17): How the Append Only Property for Long Text Works in Microsoft Access & Why You Shouldn't Use It
- Can't Format Currency (18:27): What To Do When Your Value Won't Format as Currency in Microsoft Access
- Create a Database (12:48): How To Create a Database in Microsoft Access
- Optional Parameters (16:53): How to Use Optional Parameters in Microsoft Access VBA
- Shortcut Keys (5:14): Copy Value from the Same Field in the Previous Record
- Quickly Run SQL (12:16): How to Quickly Execute SQL Commands Without Building a Query in Microsoft Access
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Naming Conventions (Short): Naming Conventions in Microsoft Access to Enhance Clarity and Organization
- Input Masks (9:21): Customizing Data Input for Phone Numbers, Passwords, and More
- Alphabetizing Properties (Short): Quick Tip: Alphabetizing Properties for Easy Access in Forms and Reports
- Format Fields in a Table (12:07): Customizing Table Fields: Date, Number, and Text Formatting Techniques
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Nothing new this week.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- May 4, 2023: Eric Blomquist - Standardizing Form and List Filtering using VBA Classes
- May 9, 2023: Juan Soto - Selling Access Solutions - Part II (JUST ADDED)
- May 18, 2023: Richard Rost - Custom Data Entry Filter Functions in Access
- May 30, 2023: Tom van Stiphout and Kim Young - Northwind 2.0 (JUST ADDED)
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- August 29, 2023: Lenni Lobel - Introduction to Azure Cosmos DB (JUST ADDED)
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-04-22) and this one (2023-04-29).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control