This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
Mathieu Guindon (Rubberduck VBA)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
- LockControls() Function: Locking and Unlocking Multiple MS Access Controls in VBA
- How to Safely Disable Controls in Microsoft Access
- How to Use VBA to Set the ControlSource Property of an Access Image Control (and Other Deeply Hidden Object Properties)
- Spinning Plates: What this Parlor Trick Has in Common with Software Development
- Feature Gates: How Microsoft Switched to a Single Code Base for Multiple Versions of Office
Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Subdatasheets (11:25): What, How, & Why (I Don't Let End-Users Play With Them)
- Denormalize For Performance (20:56): One Way to Speed Up your Microsoft Access Database
- Disable AutoSave Subform (10:53): How to Disable Automatic Record Saving in a Subform
- Replication ID Foreign Key (10:07): Replication ID as a Foreign Key in Microsoft Access
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Ranking Data Sets by Percentiles in Microsoft Access (Short)
- Customize the Access Toolbar (7:19): Boost Your Productivity with Customized Quick Access Toolbar in MS Access
- Median Magic: How to Locate the Middle of a Data Set in Microsoft Access (Short)
- Database Design (5:10): A Five-Step Database Design Guide for Beginners
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Power Tip: Improve the security of database connections, by Ben Clothier
- Bypassing Autoexec, by Dev Ashish
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- April 20, 2023: Tom van Stiphout - Northwind 2.0 Is Here!
- April 25, 2023: Maria Barnes - What's New with Access?
- April 27-28, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-04-01) and this one (2023-04-08).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control