This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Microsoft 365 Plans that include Access, by Karl Donaubauer
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
- Progress Bar (UPDATED)
- View Access Help (UPDATED)
- Better Date Picker (UPDATED)
- Using the new VBA Project Signing feature - Part 1 (UPDATED)
- BUG: Tables Disappear In Relationships Window
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Self Destruct! (9:45): How to Create a Database in Microsoft Access That Will Self-Destruct in 24 Hours
- Startup Form (9:30): How to Load a Form on Startup in your Microsoft Access Database
- ACCDE (16:35): Creating ACCDE Files in Microsoft Access
- Refresh vs. Requery (10:09): Refresh vs. Requery in Microsoft Access: What's the Difference?
- Requery in Place (21:20): How to Requery a Continuous Form in Microsoft Access Without the Focus Moving
- On Got Focus (18:28): Using the On Got Focus Event in Microsoft Access to Provide On-Screen Help to Users
- Developer 42 (1:33): Parameter Arrays, Products With Options, More!
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Ranking (Short): Rank Your Data Set with Ease: Using Correlated Subqueries in Microsoft Access
- What is a Database? (5:28): From Simple Spreadsheets to Massive Data LakesFrom Simple Spreadsheets to Massive Data Lakes
- Taking Pictures (Short): Taking Pictures in a Microsoft Access Database
- Middle Quartiles (11:58): Use a Single Query to find the Top or Middle Quartiles of a Data Set
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- User Interface Design and Implementation: Learnability Part 2, MIT: Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (Collaboratively authored with contributions from: Elena Glassman, Philip Guo, Daniel Jackson, David Karger, Juho Kim, Rob Miller, Clayton Sims, and Haoqi Zhang.)
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- April 5, 2023: Duane Hookom - Creating calendar format reports
- April 6, 2023: Tom Wickerath and George Hepworth - Migrating Access Tables to SQL Server, a Comparison of Methods
- April 20, 2023: Tom van Stiphout - Northwind 2.0 Is Here!
- April 25, 2023: Maria Barnes - What's New with Access?
- April 27-28, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- August 2, 2023: Thomas Möller - (topic details to follow)
- September 6, 2023: Juanjo Luna - Blazor: making a webApp
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - The Future of Access
- November 1, 2023: John Heaser - Extending Access with SQL Server – including Geography data
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-03-25) and this one (2023-04-01).
The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
APR 2023: Modern Web Browser Control
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control