This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
Alessandro Grimaldi (YouTube channel)
- Sliding Ticker (1:08)
Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Import Objects (8:49): How to Import Objects From Another Microsoft Access Database
- Continuous Forms Not Working! (9:46): Trying to Make Continuous Forms in Microsoft Access and it's Not Working?
- Group On Top (12:33): How to Make a Sorted Report in Microsoft Access with Specific Contacts Grouped On Top
- Association Database, Part 8 (19:03): Microsoft Access Association Database, Part 8: Demographic Form, Switch Subforms, SourceObject
Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- How to Fix Non-Updateable Queries (13:08): What Makes a Query Non-Updateable? Here's How to Recognize Why.
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Management Time: Who’s Got the Monkey? by William Oncken, Jr. and Donald L. Wass
- What does, "it's too expensive," mean? by Seth Godin
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- February 16, 2023: Karl Donaubauer - The Current State of Access
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- March 2, 2023: Speakers TBA - Migrating Access Tables to SQL Server, a Comparison of Methods
- April 5, 2023: Duane Hookom - (topic details to follow)
- April 6, 2023: Jack Stockton - Multi-Language Support in Access applications
- April 27-28, 2023: Access DevCon Vienna (UPDATED DATES; moved to avoid conflict with annual Microsoft MVP Summit)
- May 3, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
- July 5, 2023: Aleksander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- October 4, 2023: Juan Soto - (topic details to follow)
- December 6, 2023: Mike Wolfe - (topic to be confirmed)
Microsoft finally updated the Roadmap!!!!
The "New Modern Web Browser Form Control" appeared on the roadmap between the last Week in Review (2023-01-28) and this one (2023-02-04). The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAR 2023: New Modern Web Browser Form Control