Congratulations to the newest Microsoft Access MVP, mi buen amigo, Juanjo Luna! Well deserved.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
Maria Barnes (Business Data Bytes Newsletter)
Daniel Pineault (DEVelopers HUT)
Colin Riddington (Isladogs on Access)
- UPDATED: Compare Control Help Text Methods
Mike Wolfe (NoLongerSet)
- Colin Riddington [Isladogs] (YouTube channel)
- Control Help Text (17:44): 5 Ways of Providing Control Help Text
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- RecordCount (20:40): How to Show What Record You're On and How Many Total Records There Are in Your Microsoft Access Form
- TimeValue (16:19): Use the TimeValue Function to Get Just the Time Portion of a DateTime Field in Microsoft Access
- Hour Minute Second (11:32): Find the Busiest Times of the Day Using the Hour, Minute, and Second Functions in Microsoft Access
- DateValue (11:46): Use the DateValue Function to Get Just the Date Portion of a DateTime Field in Microsoft Access
- Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Help Users with Tags (5:15): Tag Property Examples for Assisting Users on a Form
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- December 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Annotating Google Maps in Access
- December 13, 2022: Juan Soto - Access with SQL Server Academy Part II (review Part I here)
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- January 31, 2023: Colin Riddington - Translate & Speak Using Access
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
- March 1, 2023: Maria Barnes - Optimizing Queries in SQL Server
- June 7, 2023: Thomas Pfoch - Maps for Microsoft Access
There were no changes to the roadmap between last week (2022-10-29) and this week (2022-11-05). The development priorities were last updated on October 12, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Our Road Ahead - Microsoft Access Engineering Priorities Oct 2022.
New priorities added since the previous set of priorities are shown in bold below. Dropped priorities are struck through.
- Continued Focus on Monthly Issue Fixes (Monthly Issue Fix Blog)
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New Macro Signing Support
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Floating Point
- Dataverse Connector Data Type Support for Rich Text
- Dataverse Connector support to export to a specific Dataverse solution or publisher
Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access SQL Monaco Editor New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector