Week in Review: September 24, 2022
Highlights include bug fixes in Access v2208, Microsoft's new Office update strategy, creating ACCDB/ACCDE files using code, and a series on TempVars.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Access Releases 5 Issue Fixes in Version 2208 (Released Aug 31), by Michael Aldridge
- VBA to make PowerPoint Slide Index, by Crystal Long
- Access – Manipulating and Parsing Text, by Daniel Pineault
- Should We Be Afraid of Microsoft’s New Update Strategy?, by Daniel Pineault
- Microsoft Office Trusted Documents and Trusted Locations, by Daniel Pineault
- Compile Modules using code, by Colin Riddington
- Create ACCDB & ACCDE files using code, by Colin Riddington
- UPDATED: View Database Objects & Metadata, by Colin Riddington
- Namespaces in VBA, by Mike Wolfe
- A Safer Way to Use TempVars, by Mike Wolfe
- TV: The TempVars Class Module, by Mike Wolfe
- Beware TempVars in Queries, by Mike Wolfe
- Safely Using TempVars in Queries, by Mike Wolfe
- Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Using SQL Server with Access (1:02:32): by Maria Barnes
- SQL Server Academy: Introduction to SQL Server with Access (54:30): by Juan Soto
- Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- Book Collection Management Using Power Apps (and Access) (1:06:21): by George Hepworth
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Before Update (15:52): Use the Before Update Event in Microsoft Access VBA to Cancel Editing a Field in Certain Conditions
- Synchronize Subforms (22:06): How to Synchronize Multiple Related Subforms in Microsoft Access Without Any VBA Programming
- InputBox (15:59): Use the InputBox Function in Microsoft Access VBA to Prompt for User Input, e.g. a Manager Password
- Link Master/Child Fields (9:53): What are the Link Master Fields and Link Child Fields Properties in Microsoft Access Subforms?
- DateSerial (14:45): How To Use DateSerial in Microsoft Access to Create a Valid Date Value From the Year, Month, and Day
- Access Beginner 2 (1:49:26): Microsoft Access Beginner Level 2 Complete FULL Course. Form Design. Intro to Relationships. More!
- Sequential Annual Coding (19:19): Sequential Annual Coding for Customers Based on the Year their Record is Created in Microsoft Access
- Daniel Pineault (YouTube channel)
- Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
- Three Expert Wait Screens (12:08): Real Life Examples and Code for Progress Notification Screens
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- September 27, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Using Text-to-Speech (TTS) in Access
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Cataloguing and searching emails with Access
- October 6, 2022: Brian Krotine - Hosting Access Applications "in the cloud"
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less Communications to SQL Server
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-09-17) and this week (2022-09-24). The Access roadmap was last updated on May 31, 2022.
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)