NOTE: If you know of any Microsoft Access articles published in the past 7 days that I missed, please let me know in the comments below. I'm especially interested in websites that publish regular Access content (at least several times per year). Thanks in advance for helping out!
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Cannot open a database created with a previous version, by Daniel Pineault
- Sharing Files Over The Internet, by Daniel Pineault
- MDEs & ACCDEs Breaking, by Daniel Pineault
- Microsoft Office/Access V2206 – Stay Away!, by Daniel Pineault
- Continuous subform scrollbar selection ), by Colin Riddington
- Standard Module Object Generation (SMOG), by Colin Riddington
- How do I search and select names that start with certain letters?
- Inventory Management: Brainstorming a new database design
- Counting multiple checkboxes: OP inherited a 25-year old Access app.
- Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Building Ribbon Interfaces in Code (47:50): by Mike Wolfe
- Crystal Long (YouTube channel)
- Mainform Subform (6:23): Access Main Form and Subform for data from tables Related in a 1 to Many Relationship ~ DataPig
- Startup Options (3:22): Startup Options to simplify User Interaction with the Access Application ~ DataPig
- Splash Screen (3:30): Splash Screen form in Access that shows on start up ~ DataPig
- Option Group (8:21): Setting up and using an Option Group in Access ~ DataPig
- MsgBox InputBox (8:16): Using MsgBox and InputBox to communicate with the user in Access ~ DataPig
- Image to Button (2:02): Make an Image appear and act like a button in Access ~ DataPig
- Multi-Column Combobox (6:28): Multi-Column Combobox in Access ~ DataPig
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Pharos Technology [Dr. Richard Hanson] (YouTube MS Access playlist)
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- 5 Software Engineering Foot-guns (I'm especially partial to #1, as I've written about in the past)
- The Googler’s Dilemma: Why Experience Will Always Have a Premium (I apparently found a kindred spirit, as I've written about this in the past, too)
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- July 21, 2022: Richard Rost - Custom List Box Columns
- August 3, 2022: Peter Cole - Automating 32-bit to 64-bit VBA Conversion
- September 1, 2022: Jack Stockton - Codifying Long Names into Unique Codes
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Graphical Interfaces in Access
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
- January 4, 2023: Peter Bryant - Automating DSN-less connections to SQL Server
- February 1, 2023: Thomas Möller - Better Access Charts
There were NO CHANGES to the roadmap between last week (2022-07-09) and this week (2022-07-16).
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
"In Development", "Rolling Out", and "Launched" are Microsoft terms that I pulled straight from the public roadmap.
"Development Priorities" do not appear on the Access Roadmap. Instead, they get updated from time to time in official Access blog posts. I'll include a link to the official Access blog post that lists the current development priorities as they get updated.
The items listed below reflect Microsoft's order of priority and were published in the following article, Changes to Our Public Roadmap and How We Communicate Access Feature Priorities.
- Inconsistent Database Error Fix
- New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
- Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
- SQL Monaco Editor
- New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
JAN 2021: Access: ODBC Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)
JAN 2021: Access: DAO Interface Support (without ACE Redistributable Engine)