The Week in Review is the best way to keep up with the latest and greatest from the world of Microsoft Access. Every Saturday, I publish links from around the web. If you find or publish content that you think should be included, email me at mike at nolongerset dot com, tag me on Twitter @nolongerset, or tag me on LinkedIn Mike Wolfe. I retain full editorial control of what appears here. There are no paid or affiliate links, only high quality Microsoft Access content.
Click the "Subscribe" button above to receive this weekly update–along with links to my other daily articles–in your inbox every Sunday morning.
This section includes videos, articles, and interesting discussions from the past 7 days.
- Connecting Power BI Desktop To An Unencrypted Access Database, by Daniel Pineault
- Microsoft Access Roadmap Update, by Daniel Pineault
- Should you Create Accounting Software Using MS Access?, by IT Impact
- Missing Trigonometric Functions, by Colin Riddington (aka Isladogs)
- Status of DatabaseAnswers.org???? A conversation about preserving Access content on the web as former Access MVPs and other contributors retire
- Hi, Can anyone guide me how to make an accounting database? tl;dr: Better to purchase off the shelf accounting software (e.g., Quickbooks) and add customizations as needed
- Remove whitespace from string and start next word with upper case
- Access User Group Recordings (YouTube channel)
- Filter as You Type in Access (49:40) - Plus Custom Navigation Pane, presented by Kim Young
- Denver Area Access Users Group (YouTube channel)
- AppLauncher for Access (1:08:15) - A New Access Front-End Deployment Service, presented by Kevin Bell
- Richard Rost (YouTube channel)
- Gift Certificates (36:26): Build a Database for Creating, Printing, and Tracking Gift Certificates in Microsoft Access
- Rounding (17:44): Rounding Numbers in Microsoft Access. Understanding Int, Fix, Round, and Banker's Rounding
- Order Discount (18:00): Add a Discount Percentage Rate to your Order Form and Invoice in Microsoft Access
- Referential Integrity (11:53): How to Set Up Referential Integrity in Microsoft Access. Prevent Deletion of Parent Records.
New to Me
This section includes content I discovered this week that has been around for awhile.
- Overview of XEvent Profiler in SQL Server Management Studio, by Rajendra Gupta at mssqltips.com
- A great breakdown of the differences between OLEDB and ODBC in the context of Access, plus a nice tip for how to use File DSNs to create DSN-less linked table connections, by former Access MVP Albert Kallal
Upcoming Access User Group Events
NOTE: Only English-language user group meetings with scheduled guest speakers or topics are listed. For a complete list of upcoming events, visit the Access User Group event calendar.
- June 1, 2022: Alan Cossey - Standard Module Object Generation
- June 2, 2022: Crystal Long - Drawing the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements with an Access Report
- June 16, 2022: Karl Donaubauer - Design Patterns with Access
- July 6, 2022: Mike Wolfe - Building Ribbon Interfaces in Code
- August 3, 2022: Peter Cole - Automating 32-bit to 64-bit VBA Conversion
- September 7, 2022: Colin Riddington - Optimizing Queries and the Use of JETSHOWPLAN
- October 5, 2022: Alessandro Grimaldi - Graphical Interfaces in Access
- November 2, 2022: George Hepworth - Power Apps for Access Developers
- December 7, 2022: Alexsander Wojtasz - Interactive Gantt Chart Scheduler in Access
Listed below is a snapshot of the official Access Roadmap.
MAR 2022: New Microsoft Graph Data Connector
MAY 2022: Access Dataverse Connector
SEP 2022:New (Modern) Web Browser Control (to support Chromium Edge)
SEP 2022: Enabling Large Address Aware (LAA) for 32-Bit Access
OCT 2022: Inconsistent Database Error Fix
DEC 2022: SQL Monaco Editor
There were a couple of changes from last week:
- "Monster Bug" fix changed from
- Dataverse connector changed from