On April 23, 2021, I helped Wayne Phillips introduce the world to twinBASIC at the Access DevCon Vienna conference. I boldly predicted that twinBASIC (along with the Monaco editor) would replace VBA and its outdated development environment by 2025. With that goal in mind, this weekly update is my attempt to keep the project fresh in the minds of the VBA development community.
Every Sunday, I will be providing updates on the status of the project, linking to new articles discussing twinBASIC, and generally trying to increase engagement with the project. If you come across items that should be included here, tweet me @NoLongerSet or email me at mike at nolongerset dot com.
VS Code Extensibility
Exciting news that opens up a whole realm of new possibilities in the form of community-created addins for twinBASIC:
As of v0.10.5725, we now have some extra VS Code extensibility things of interest. Before reading on, note that this is EXPERIMENTAL and the API is highly subject to change, and errors are not yet propagated from VS Code back to the twinbasic code. Consider this just a sneak peek at what me might be able to do in the future in this regard...
RGB Extraction Functions
The VBA.Information library includes an RGB function that returns a Long integer representing an RGB color value. However, there are no built-in functions to extract an individual color value from an RGB color value.
As of v0.10.5494, twinBASIC supports these extraction functions.
In addition, you can also create RGB color values with an Alpha transparency layer using the newly added RGBA function.
There is a corresponding RGBA_A() extraction function to pull the alpha transparency value:
The RGB_R/G/B() extraction functions work with RGBA values (there are no separate RGBA_R/G/B() functions):
Support for Finalize() dropped for backward compatibility
As a counterpart to the constructor procedure,
Sub New(), tB included support for a corresponding destructor procedure,
Sub Finalize(). The problem is that
Sub Finalize() could potentially break backwards compatibility for existing VBx classes that already included a
Finalize() procedure. (Note that there is no such concern with
Sub New() as that is invalid syntax in VBx.)
To avoid breaking existing VBx code, Wayne dropped support for the special behavior around
Sub Finalize(). Any tB code that was using
Finalize() should simply use
Around the Web
Do we want typedef support?
Ben Clothier started an interesting discussion around the idea of typedef support in twinBASIC. This topic is particularly relevant if you use a lot of API calls in your applications.
Kr00l suggested a variation of the UDT declare syntax to introduce a typedef in tB:
Public Type HWND As LongPtr Public Type HMENU As LongPtr
In other words, an
HWND variable would represent a subset of all long pointers, while an
HMENU variable would represent a different subset of long pointers. Specifically, a variable declared as
HWND would represent a window handle, while an
HMENU variable would represent a menu handle.
Thus, it would not make sense to write the following code:
Dim MyWindow As HWND Dim MyMenu As HMENU MyWindow = MyMenu
That said, typedef's in C/C++ are nothing more than aliases.
In C/C++, typedefs are treated exactly as if they are of the underlying type, and so in the example you gave, the values can be interchanged without any form of casting whatsoever.
In other words, the non-sensical code above would not prevent compilation. Ben recommended that
Option Strict mode should, in fact, prevent compilation of the above code. I strongly agree. Any time you can turn runtime errors into compile-time errors, you are creating code that's easier and less expensive to maintain.
Here are the updates from the past week. You can also find this information by installing the twinBASIC VS Code extension and clicking on the Changelog tab of the extension page:
[v0.10.5788, 10th September 2021]
- fixed: field initializors with New
- fixed: datatype suffix characters now allowed on array declarations [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/426 ]
[v0.10.5767, 9th September 2021]
- fixed: (regression since v0.10.5646) class field initializors to allow for any order of class declarations in New
- fixed: (regression since v0.10.5646) class field initializors causing compiler crash in some instances
[v0.10.5755, 9th September 2021]
- fixed: VBA.Conversion.Val was throwing an error in cases where the number could not be parsed, instead of returning zero [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/201#issuecomment-915195643 ]
- added: VBA.Conversion.ValDec akin to VBA.Conversion.Val but returning a Decimal [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/201#issuecomment-915135732 ]
- removed: support for Sub Finalize due to conflict with VBx compatibility [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/417 ]
[v0.10.5735, 8th September 2021]
- fixed: allow datatype suffix on array element accessors [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/422 ]
- fixed: exposed enums in generated type libraries could not be consumed by some hosts [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/424 ]
[v0.10.5725, 8th September 2021]
- fixed: variables should not be considered referencable inside brackets [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/416 ]
- added: EXPERIMENTAL [IdeButton("/miscellaneous/image.jpg")] attribute for VS Code extensibility
- added: EXPERIMENTAL Debug.ExecuteHostCommand method for executing VS Code commands / VS Code extensibility
[v0.10.5711, 7th September 2021]
- improved: tweaked the intellisense datatype hint to be more explicit [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/413#issuecomment-913999311 ]
- improved: allow for multiple Handles and Implements clauses on the same line separated by commas [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/145 ]
- fixed: allow qualified use of parameterized constructors [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/412 ]
- improved: tweaked handling of underscore usage in symbols
- improved: compatibility with VBx handling of passing byref-Variants containing byref-elements (multi-indirection) [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/414 and https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/415 ]
[v0.10.5646, 6th September 2021]
- improved: overhauled the resolution of default values and constant values [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/230 ]
- improved: tweaked the new RGB functions from v0.10.5494 as per Krools suggestions [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/408#issuecomment-913476248 ]
- fixed: 'Global' declerations should only be allowed inside Modules, not Classes [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/409 ]
- fixed: 'unexpected end of procedure' error occuring in when an API decleration was the last procedure in the file [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/410 ]
[v0.10.5494, 6th September 2021]
- fixed: Global Const now supported [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/409 ]
- added: RGBA, RGB_R, RGB_G, RGB_B, RGBA_A functions to the VBA.Information module [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/408 ]
- fixed: debugger stepping into constructors was not working in all cases [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/402#issuecomment-910012284 ]
[v0.10.5474, 6th September 2021]
- fixed: intellisense issue when typing fast or slow processing [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/337#issuecomment-913315400 ]
- fixed: End Sub/Function being added incorrectly to unfinished multi-line Declare statements [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/337#issuecomment-913315400 ]
- improved: Redim() without an explicit datatype will now trigger warning TB0003 if the variable hasn't been pre-declared with Dim [ https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/twinbasic/issues/208#issuecomment-913204376 ]